Sunday, March 14, 2010

Galway, Connemara, and the Aran Islands

Well, I'm going to be on top of things and write this post right away...mainly because I'm avoiding writing a paper that's due tomorrow (I'm not used to doing homework anymore :)

The more trips I go on, the more at home I feel in Dublin...which is a great feeling! I do miss the "normalcy" of life back home from time to time, but it's sad to know that I've only got less than 2 months left here as well. These next 6 weeks are going to fly by, but as the weather warms up and the flowers begin to bloom I'm going to make the most of it!

Anyway, this past weekend DBS took us on another "field trip," this time to the West of Ireland. If you couldn't tell by the title of this post, we got to go to Galway, Connemara, and the Aran Islands. Everything was beautiful and the sun decided to shine for us almost the whole time, but for whatever reason the West of Ireland isn't as green as the rest of the country, and the flowers still hadn't bloomed. Regardless, it was a very relaxing trip and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing more of this foreign country I currently reside in :)

I hope you enjoy the pics from these 3 beautiful locations:

GALWAY
A cute, seaside city
Lovin' that sun! :)

We. Are. Tourists.
A heron perched on top of a car...haha

CONNEMARA

Yes, Ireland does have mountains

Kylemore Abbey...used to be someone's mansion, now it's an all-girls boarding school...and a popular tourist site

The story behind this picture: Rather than taking the same old boring pictures of me and/or others standing in front of an attraction and smiling, I decided to make things a bit more exciting and have some one take a picture of me hanging from a tree branch with Kylemore Abbey in the background. Well, despite the fact that the branch seemed sturdy enough, it snapped on me just as my feet left the ground. You probably can't tell from the picture, but I had a bit of a distance to fall from where I was hanging, and the ground that met me wasn't exactly soft. Oh well...the people watching said I fell gracefully. Unfortunately, those attempting the picture stopped taking it once they saw me falling. Dang...that would have been a good shot.
This is part of the largest victorian gardens in Ireland...oh how I wish the flowers were in bloom.
Band shot.
Walking through the gardens
Some of the girls: Myself, Katie, Kim, Allie, and Erin
I love Allie...we lived in the same hall last year, my junior year, but didn't see much of each other because we were on complete opposite ends of the hall. Thankfully, I get to spend lots of time with her here in Ireland!
The "Gothic Church"
Some of the detailing inside the church

THE ARAN ISLANDS

On the largest island where the daily population is about 800 residents and 2,000 visitors (That's a fact)
Some of the houses still have thatched roofs
In front of Dun Aenghus, a fort on the island and built on the edge of some cliffs
And these would be the cliffs
The view from above
All but 3 of the Cedarville kids
The view was incredible
And...the story behind this picture is we took a ferry to a from the island. This is on the way back, having just arrived back on the "main land." I don't know the girl next to me, but in case you couldn't tell by the picture, she was OUT. This picture was taken after several awkward attempts to wake her.

Well, that's all for now. I should probably get to writing that paper....Meh.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha, in the pictures it looked like you were real close to the edge of the cliffs. But that was probably an optical illusion, huh.
    - Your mother :)

    ReplyDelete