Friday, April 9, 2010

THIS IS IRELAND (and this post is right on time...)

Well, I decided to post right away (even though I just finished a post on Easter) because I'm procrastinating and avoiding writing a paper (which happens to be the LAST PAPER OF MY COLLEGE CAREER! Yessssss :)

As I mentioned in the last post, I've made a list of things I want to do/see before I leave. One of those things is taking the "Bray to Greystones hike." Basically you start in one town and hike up and over a hill to the next. I was able to leave my internship early (which also happened to be my last day :) and join Erin, Allie, and Allie's friend, Suzie for the hike. Suzie was Allie's roommate the last two years at Cedarville, before she chose to join the National Guard. I was in their hall last year, and loved them both! I was so excited that she came to visit and I got to see her again! :)

We had an absolutely gorgeous day, which made the hike and scenery so much more enjoyable:

Starting off in Bray...you might remember a picture similar to this one in one of my earlier posts--only it was FREEZING then. Glad we got a little warmer weather this time around :)
I LOVE THE BEACH.
The hill you see in the picture above is called "Bray Head" and is the one we climbed up and over to get to Greystones...just to give you a visual :)
Same shirt, different colors. White top underneath, black fleece over. Jeans. Same shoes, different colors (even though they didn't make it into the picture). We may be roommates, but no, we did not match on purpose. :)
Such cute (pre-Suzie-leaving) roomies! :)
Those yellow flowers smelled like coconuts...yum.
And me likey the view :)
So does Erin
It may not be a Colorado fourteener, but I definitely got my workout today...
Irish Sea on one side...
Irish mountains on the other
Suzie and I decided to take the short cut
We made it to the top!
Though I don't know the story or history behind it, there's a cross at the top of Bray Head. Cool. :)
We love Ireland!
Oh, and side note: we got this shot on the first try. Nice :)
So...technically you're supposed to go around Bray Head in order to get to Greystones. But, we figured there had to be a way from the top...so we made it up as we went. It meant climbing a few fences I don't think we were supposed to, and a few hours added to our hike, but it was worth it...we had the hike all to our ourselves :)
We eventually ended up near a main road (as main as main can get in Ireland)...yea, pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen. Oops :)
But we saw little sheepsies! I love baby lambs :)
WE FINALLY MADE IT! And how appropriate that "Welcome to Greystones" be written on a grey stone...ha.
Pretty :)
And the reason for this disturbing picture would be to show you what I look like as I write this post...houses in Ireland don't have a central heating system, so it gets a bit cold at times, and I was too lazy to start the fire :P Pity me.

1 comment:

  1. a. i love that last pic.

    b. i did not recognize suzy at all at first.

    c. i didn't even hear about the volcano at all until yesterday when my boss told me. this is what happens w/ no tv and internet... and i thought-uh-oh. trish.

    ReplyDelete